Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Perks

While looking something up, I ran across this in the US Postal Service International Mail Manual:
143.3 Mail of a Former President and Surviving Spouse of a Former President
All nonpolitical mail of former United States Presidents, and of the surviving spouse of a former President, must be accepted without prepayment of postage if it bears the written signature of the sender, or a facsimile signature and the words "POSTAGE AND FEES PAID" in the upper-right corner of the address side.
Seems inconsequential, but I'm trying to decide if I think it's appropriate in principle or not. An employee of the government should of course get government perks, but an ex-employee? Call it part of the pension maybe...but somehow complimentary postal services seems a bit more pretentious than covered health care.

3 Comments:

At 12:49 AM, Blogger ilan said...

Dare I ask why we were reading said manual?

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Alisha said...

Investigation into how much it would cost me to mail a big box to myself in Israel instead of taking an extra suitcase on the plane. Of course, this is about the lowest priority piece of planning I could possibly have been engaged in. That's me...

 
At 12:52 AM, Blogger ilan said...

I hear that putting yourself in a box and shipping it first class is also a cheaper way to get there.
But the cargo hold doesn't have honey-roasted peanuts, not to mention the lack of an in-flight movie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home