Friday, December 24, 2004

Time-starved

I have heard many stories of people who were deprived of food during an oppressive time, either the Holocaust or a personal situation of intense poverty, later being unable to moderate their instincts to hoard food. L'havdil, I think I may be suffering from trauma of a similar sort with regard to time.

For a lot of complicated reason involving the schools that I have attended (elementary through college), my mother's personality (i.e. the way I was raised), and my incredible inability to do anything quickly, I have a long history of deprivation of free time. By "free," I mean time in which there is actually nothing I am supposed to be doing. As a result, any time I do have even vaguely "to myself," I try to drag out as long as possible, even when it is completely self-destructive to do so. And time that is not really my own to do what I want, I take anyway. I am a time-cleptomaniac.

This is the explanation I've developed for why I'm late to everything. It's not because I'm not conscious of the time, because quite the opposite is true. I go crazy if I don't have a watch on my wrist that I can consult every 30 seconds when I'm on a tight schedule. I do care, and I don't mean to be inconsiderate and make people wait, nor do I like to make a grand entrance. In fact, I desperately hate it. It makes my insides curl up every time I have to walk in late somewhere or apologize for my tardiness. But no matter how far ahead I start to get ready or how well I plan, ten to one I will be late anyway -- because some compulsion made me stay just a few minutes extra to do one last thing before I left. The time is there, and I can't resist using it, even if it's not really available. It doesn't matter how trivial an activity I use it for, or if I waste it entirely.

Of course, the same motivation is at the root of much of my procrastination. Granted, there are many things I put off doing simply because I dread doing them -- but in many other instances, it is not the avoidance of productive activity but rather the hoarding of non-work time that holds me back. That's counter-productive, of course. It's irrational in the extreme, because if I'd just get my work done I'd have time that's truly free. But my psyche can't be bothered with logic, it seems....or maybe it's just been too conditioned to the understanding that that particular logic is flawed: No matter how diligently I work on something, it will never be done before the next task needs to have already been started. So why work diligently?

And, as if you can't tell by the time-stamp on this post, I do the same thing at night, when the appointment to which I'm making myself late is with my mattress. I can be exhausted, or need to get up early the next day, or simply know that it would be better for me to keep a reasonably normal schedule...but I will still sit up, perhaps doing something meaningful while my brain is still capable and then continuing with mindless drivel after that. It's not because I have any underlying fear of going to bed, because I have insomnia once in a blue moon and nightmares even less frequently. Generally I sleep like a log, starting from about 10 minutes (or less) from when I lie down. No, it's because I can't bear to give up whatever it is I'm doing to go to bed, even if whatever that is is nothing.

I know all this, and yet the compulsion is just as strong as ever. How to fight it????

6 Comments:

At 5:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd comment, with potential suggestions... if i was any better.

Look at my time stamp. I just rearranged my life stlye to make it work. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

There is a reason I don't bill by the hour. I don't get up at 7am. I tend to be a tiny bit late. I start getting to clients about 2pm.. if not 3pm.

Oh well.. I guess I wouldn't be me if I were up at 7am everyday...

and look what we get done at 5am!

 
At 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erm. Hi. Is this the room for Procrastinators Anonymous?

Ah. Good. Ah. Um... I'm josh, and um... well, I'm a procrastinator.
I do wish I could offer some useful advice. Why do we waste time like that? Or rather, manage it in such a way so that things always take at least a few units longer than we really can afford. Personally, I can't trace it back to a lack of free time, having had that, or not, at different points in my life. Alas, for me, lacking such deep environmental factors, I must look within, and blame chronic laziness, from being burnt out, or perhaps a general malaise and distaste with my current state of life?

A mutual friend recently pointed out that I may need to not focus on the now relative to upcoming transitions, not cling too tightly to moments that they tie me down. Its the closest thing I've come up with to explain the at times rampant procrastination... a 'fear' of things to come, things which will come, once the current madness is completed. Of course, that in turn leads to a subconscious reluctance to function in a timely manner, which manifests itself in all sorts of dubiously pleasant ways. In your case, while you're happy to be done, well, I know you're not looking forward to some upcoming things.

Chronic laziness is definitely there for me though. If I were feeling conscientious, I'd stay up a bit longer and make it to shacharit, so I suppose I've even less call to speak. All the more so given my personal current torment and its unending tale.




In any case, you didn't post it, and I think I dug it up for you in the first place, so here, for all your many readers edification. (I leave it to Shanna to actually post the Procrastinator's Creed.):

How did it get so late so soon?
It's night before it's afternoon.
December is here before its June.
My goodness how the time has flewn.
How did it get so late so soon?
- Dr. Seuss


-j

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger shanna said...

Er....I'm blaming my problem on you two. It doesn't matter that I was the same way in high school. Your influence is retroactive!

The Procrastinator's Creed, as requested:

1. I believe that if anything is worth doing, it would have been done already.

2. I shall never move quickly, except to avoid more work or find excuses.

3. I will never rush into a job without a lifetime of consideration.

4. I shall meet all of my deadlines directly in proportion to the amount of bodily injury I could expect to receive from missing them.

5. I firmly believe that tomorrow holds the possibility for new technologies, astounding discoveries, and a reprieve from my obligations.

6. I truly believe that all deadlines are unreasonable regardless of the amount of time given.

7. I shall never forget that the probability of a miracle, though infinitesimally small, is not exactly zero.

8. If at first I don’t succeed, there is always next year.

9. I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.

10. I shall always begin, start, initiate, take the first step, and/or write the first word, when I get around to it.

11. I obey the law of inverse excuses which demands that the greater the task to be done, the more insignificant the work that must be done prior to beginning the greater task.

12. I know that the work cycle is not plan/start/finish, but is wait/ plan/plan.

13. I will never put off until tomorrow, what I can forget about forever.

14. I will become a member of the ancient Order of Two-Headed Turtles (the Procrastinator’s Society) if they ever get it organized.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Alisha said...

I have to say that as well as I know the procrastination problem that you both have and share it, you've more or less missed my point. You're talking about the other kind of procrastination I mentioned in that paragraph, "Granted, there are many things I put off doing simply because I dread doing them..." But neither of you are chronically late to things, and I think the reason you, Josh, stay up late has more to do with your insomnia and with your addiction to the internet (a topic possibly to be dealt with in another post) than with a compulsion to spend time. (Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how it strikes me.)

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...and I think the reason you, Josh, stay up late has more to do with your insomnia and with your addiction to the internet "*ponder* My addiction to the Internet?

But soft! What pot through yonder window breaks? It is the west, and blackens out the sun!

Perhaps m'dear, but you tend to be online webreading at least as much, if not more at this point, than I ever did. Even at my sophmoric worst (or maybe that was freshman year. I think it was sophmore). In any case, a good book (or even a dubiously good book) is a far more dangerous attraction than the computer, and the TV can be almost as dangerous as said book (only less so because movies are rarely more than 3 hours long, while books can keep you up and riveted til the words start their regular 8 am synchronized swimming routines).

Tis true though, even if the details are wrong. The little things I can make it to when I want. Tis the big things I'm chronically late with. Particularly one, ever annoying, horrifically evil, bane-of-existance monstrosity (with no offense intended by the descriptives to the legitimate annoying, evil, bane-of-existance monstrosities out there.)

Meanwhile must be getting ready for shabbos. A form of procrastination around a deadline that would be really really bad to come close to missing.

Oh... and I still claim that nicely formatting the above creed, on resume paper with fancy fonts, and then tying into diploma scrolls and delivering it, all while theoretically frantically working on her thesis, may well trump the elegance of any procrastination I've ever done. If that was our influence Shanna, I am flattered, and know that my time in this world has been well wasted.

;-)

-j

 
At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uhm.. There are those of us that are not *quite* so criminal, tis true. I can make it to some places, when there is a big enough deal about it. It's just *most* places I can't get to on time. And the sleep thing is what I was really saying..

A good book is an evil thing at night. Webreading too, but a good book is truly the spawn of the devil. Half way or better... I'll be up for the distance.

Else, i'll find some way to keep myself up.

You know- this might be why we all enjoy each other's company... Who else would we talk to at 2am?

mhb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home