Monday, February 28, 2005

The Stress of Working by the Hour

Yes, it's nice to have the flexibility of scheduling nominally allowed by the fact that I'm only getting paid for when I'm there. But it's also extremely stressful, especially for someone with an overdeveloped conscience like mine, to sit at a job where I get paid by the hour if I don't have something specific to do. If my supervisors are out at meetings, haven't yet responded to my emails, reviewed the last thing I've accomplished nor given me a new assignment, in theory it's their fault that I'm not doing anything productive. And yet I still can't legitimately sit at my desk and goof off...at least I don't think so. So I do some combination of possibly-maybe useful web research and goofing off, while trying to look busy and focused. This involves keeping my ears tuned for approaching footsteps and having my fingers ever-ready on the alt-tab keys, and results in my being bored and stressed simultaneously. I also end up shaving bits off of the time I bill for, because I feel guilty that I wasn't really working during some of that time. But if that wasn't my fault...

Sigh.

4 Comments:

At 4:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is exactly how I felt at Lehman for the later part of my 2 years there.. Oh, and I'd take a nap.

It's also the reason I basically have no hourly clients. I much prefer dealing with a set fee for the month, where there's no question of earning it. No need to feel guilty, and take time off, or because I don't think they can afford it, etc.

Much simpler, all around.

Then again, i wasn't doing hourly for corporate folks.. they *were* nonprofits.

Time for me to sleep, though.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Alisha said...

Yeah, well, I don't have the choice.

I'm not working for corporate folks or for non-profit now, though...I'm working for a government agency. Where does that fall in your spectrum?

 
At 2:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leaves you pretty safe. They are going to waste money, no matter what you do. Nothing you can do to stop it, so you might as well ask your boss for more work, or stuff you can do in the fill in times, and then relax, and not worry about it.

 
At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

rhetorical: is this why some of us work from home? :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home