Wednesday, March 02, 2005

New York-ness

I can't believe I'm sitting in a random Baskin-Robbins (where I got a free scoop in celebration of Yahoo's anniversary -- yum!)...and blogging on some wireless network that happens to be out there (when I'm supposed to be doing my work). I can't quite get used to technology.

Anyway, what I came on to mention was the announcement I heard today on the subway that made me do a double-take. I was sitting there reading my book, when the same automated voice that normally says things like, "For your safety, please do not hold the doors while the train is in the station," said..."Riding on the outside of subway cars is dangerous. For your safety, please always ride inside the train." (I'm paraphrasing here, but you see how that might have made me look up and wonder if I'd heard right?)

Only in New York.

3 Comments:

At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. The Anthropology of Outdoor Subway Riding? Oooh! The Sociality of Ice Cream: Baskin Robbins vs. Ben and Jerry's, A Comparative Study.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Alisha said...

Harumph.

 
At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A link from our old house TG (transit geek) aficionado Brian W ... http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=59762 see the back of the train and you have your answer why

 

Post a Comment

<< Home