Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Grrrr....

I've made the habit of doing my schoolwork in Starbucks. As I explained a while back, I find it good to have a designated work spot that has a relaxed atmosphere, where I can get a treat to urge myself to attend to my work.

Anyway, I went there this evening and ordered a small -- excuse me, tall -- frappuchino. The guy put the coffee and syrup and ice into the blender, closed the clear plastic box over it (I wonder how many times people got hit by flying blender-covers and sprayed by iced-coffee-mush before they came up with those), and then poured it into a cup. But he poured too much, and added too much whipped cream on top, so when he tried to put the domed cover on the cup...well, he couldn't quite figure out how to get it on over it all, and he kinda made a mess. So I figured he would finally just push the cover on, wipe off the cup with a napkin, and hand it to me.

No. That would have been too reasonable. Instead, he shrugged, mumbled something about trying again, and before I realized what he was going to do he picked the whole thing up and dropped it in the garbage. I was flipping. If you know me, you know how I feel about waste, particularly about wasting food, and particularly about wasting food that I like. And it absolutely boggles my mind that he thought nothing about throwing the whole thing out and starting over. When he gave me the next one (which he carefully filled not quite to the top -- we know where the rest of the stuff in the blender went), I gave him an unsolicited tip. Next time he runs into a situation like that, ask the customer if she minds that it's a little messy, or if she'd prefer a new one. Because he got me much more upset than I would have been over a little drippage. Somehow I doubt, although I can hope, that he got even an inkling of where I was coming from.

Grrrrrrr...

1 Comments:

At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

grrr!!! this post hit a chord with me...

That would have been too reasonable.

Yet, I am surprised that he tried again, and suceeded. Well, in filling your cup without overflowing, I don't want to think about the wasted food...

But perhaps I'm so used to such imcompentence.

But yeah, the whole "throw food out" thing *really* bothers me. I am incredibly upset when I waste food by mistake (dropping it on the floor, it goes bad in the fridge, etc) ... with a wedding coming up, i'm really hoping that everything gets eatten if not by us, then by someone who really needs it.

However, somehow, sadly, I'm not sure your "starbucks guy" got it. But I really hope he did...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home