Sunday, May 22, 2005

Irony

Cornell's policy for students transferring from one college to another within the university is that their cumulative GPA zeros out and, in the end, consist only of the GPA they earn while a registered student in the college from which they graduate.

In my case, because I started taking CRP courses while still in a "terminal semester" in the College of Engineering, was then not accepted for a direct transfer but instead sent to the Internal Transfer Division (aka Never-Never Land), and then fled the university again requiring that I remain in ITD for a second semester, I spent exactly one semester in the College of Architecture, Art & Planning. This means that my cumulative GPA is exactly equal to the GPA I received in the Fall of 2004.

The irony here is that while my entire transcript ranges from atrocious to excellent, so that I should have an overall mediocre GPA, in that last semester I did very well. So well, in fact, that based on my "cumulative GPA" they designated me as one of the "Name Banner Bearers" to carry the banner with the College's name during the procession into the stadium, and apparently that means they're going to announce my name, among those of the other bearers, as we come in. I'm weirded out and honored at the same time. The whole thing seems absurd to me, considering all I've gone through just to get my name on a diploma at all...and yet I couldn't turn it down. It feels too good.

Now, just pray that it doesn't rain!

5 Comments:

At 4:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats and a large laugh go out to you. Why doesn't this shock me ... join several of us in taking advantage of Cornell's ITD crazyness (just hope that employers don't actually ask to see the transcript because it gets weird then).

 
At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Alisha said...

Joel, how did I ever know that this post would elicit a reply from you? ;-) Thanks...

 
At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I had no such luck through ITD!

Congrats. :)

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why the HELL didn't I do CS in Engineering when I started? No fair!

Congratulations though (even if it means I won't get as good a pic of you marching as I would otherwise). Just try for the left hand side if its a high banner and smile up) ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home