Saturday, September 24, 2005

Long Absence

כ״א אלול, תשס״ה
Just an apology for my disappearance. I've been on the planet all this time, just not on the internet. Exactly a week ago I came back to this sidewalk bench for wireless, but for some inexplicable reason couldn't log in. I'm very glad it seems to have been just a fluke; meanwhile I've been trying to convince my apt-mate to do the necessary phone-work to get us signed up for ADSL, since I'm lacking sufficient confidence in my Hebrew skills to attempt it myself.

This shabbat was quiet but very nice. I went to a different shul than a couple of weeks ago Friday night, but it was also very sing-y and full of ruach. I had one cold meal planned for myself, and I intended to take up the open hospitality-pairing offer that most of the shuls have for the other one. But I had dinner at home, and then when I woke up this morning, it was quiet. It's the first time since I've been here that I didn't hear children shouting, bells ringing, piano playing, etc. even before I opened my eyes. I spent about a half-hour lying in bed thinking that I'd get up, get dressed and go to shul any minute...and then decided I just couldn't give up the peace. Besides, I've been up before 9 every day for the last two weeks -- often before 8 and sometimes before 7. So I stayed in bed a while longer, changed out of pajamas but not into shabbat clothes, davened, ate, learned some, took a nap, ate some more, then decided I was tired of sitting around...and walked to the kotel for mincha! It was a really nice walk, complete with lovely gardens and spectacular views, to say nothing of the final destination. It had been bothering me that I had been in Yerushalayim for more than two weeks and hadn't been to the Old City yet at all, and I'm pleased to find it was so simple to get there by foot.

I'll hopefully post more in the near future...but no promises. I need to have both the time to write and the ability to get online -- but I'll try. Shavua tov to all!

2 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, wow. I'm so, so, so happy for you (and just a wee little bit envious...)

 
At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds so wonderful - I'm so happy for you! Let's hear about your classes and people you're meeting! I love that the kind of experiences you're having didn't belong to a phase that we went through years ago but that you can go back to Israel and it will be even better this time! Love Rachel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home