Sunday, December 26, 2004

What is cold?

I always learned, according the basic laws of physics, that cold is simply the absence of heat. That there's no such thing as "cold" as an entity in and of itself. Well, last night my feet -- yes, my feet -- proved me wrong.

I have really poor circulation, to the extent that it is not unusual for my entire body to be perfectly warm and my feet (and/or hands) to be icy. (Of course, sometimes those appendages feel like they're burning up when the rest of me is comfortable...but that's off the topic.) Last night, I couldn't get my feet warm by encasing them in socks and blankets, which often happens because the layers just act as insulation to keep them as cold as they already are. So I went into the kitchen where there's a hot-water pipe running floor to ceiling and pressed my feet against it, in my socks, until they were truly toasty. I then went back to bed, under my down quilt, still wearing the warmed socks. Within five minutes my feet were cold again. Tell me, please, how it is possible that my feet generate cold???

Oh...and it serves me right that the night after posting that I rarely ever have trouble falling asleep, I should have lain in bed awake for about an hour and a half in total. The stress of my upcoming move is getting to me.

2 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you need one of us to come and help with the move? I'm not so busy that I can't run up next week if you like. The world shuts down then, anyways...

mhb

 
At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

finally reading through your postings, but wanted you to know you aren't the only one with this concern.

i just wear multiple layers, have found that non-synthetics help, and to always keep my feet covered, and my hands too until about mid-may.

the other day i hit my hand and someone suggested i put ice on it. so i just took my other hand and said "ok". ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home