Sunday, January 02, 2005

Names

I have a close friend who recently had her third child, and she began the very long, detailed explanation of his name by emphasizing how important she and her husband feels names are. They believe that "a name is an essence, and is sometimes tells of a person’s qualities and strengths, perhaps even of his/her destiny."

Enter Beth, who comments on her own friend's practice of referring to her kids, in her blog, by nicknames that describe an element of their personalities. Beth mentions that she knows all the kids and wouldn't have thought of them as particularly possessing the characteristics their mom identifies, but now that she regularly hears about them according to these nicknames she magnifies those characteristics in her image of the kids' activities.

I'm trying to decide whether it's good or bad that people don't usually associate all the defining characteristics of a known name with a person, the same way they would if the name were a commonly used word. Would it be better to give an infant a name, trusting that there is some force (presumably Hashem) guiding your choice, which ensures that the name is appropriate to that human being? Or might there be a risk that the influence of the name will affect what kind of person the child develops into? Or is this likely but not a risk at all, because you are choosing a name that has wonderful connotations, associations and implications?

Just a thought.

4 Comments:

At 8:06 AM, Blogger shanna said...

I'm of the crazy-mystical school of thought...parents (and specifically mothers) are given some special insight into the child's personality shortly after birth, and if they allow this insight to guide them, they will choose an appropriate name that somehow reflects that child's personality or path in life. I just can't wrap my mind around people who actually choose their children's names before birth...narrowing down the list, maybe, but there's a certain quality to this new person that you jsut can't identify unless you see them face-to-face.

Yes, maybe it really works the other way, in that the name influences the person and not the vice versa. I like my thought process better, though.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Alisha said...

Wa-ait a minute. Last I checked you were one of those people who chose their kids' names beforehand -- years beforehand! Have you had a change of heart?

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger shanna said...

I narrowed down the list, mainly out of necessity (when someone I love dies, their name(s) and variants go on the list), but no final decisions will be made until we meet the little squirts.

Great, now you're going to start a rumor that I'm pregnant.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Alisha said...

I never said that. I never even hinted it. Let it be known -- I have NO IDEA whether or not Shanna is pregnant. So there!

Hey, I didn't think you were engaged since you first started rattling off wedding color-combinations, did I? :-P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home