Tuesday, June 07, 2005

They Just Don't Get It

I've been tolerating my job. Sometimes I have things to do, some of which are more annoying than others. All too frequently, still, I have nothing to do. They give me one small task, which usually couldn't take more than an hour even if I drag it out, and several more "projects" which generally involve waiting for someone else to do something and then following up with another small task, or watching a process that I know nothing about, ostensibly being there to help but serving absolutely no useful purpose...either because someone else is already actually doing it or because I know nothing about it.

I've discussed this with my boss. He's told me to tell him when I need something to do. Usually I do. Often as not, though, he gives me another mini-task, or refers me to someone else who has another project...all of which results in the same kind of scenario as I described above.

They think I'm busy, even though I tell them otherwise. They think that they're giving me lots to do. They apologize when they interrupt me, because they "know" I'm busy. Correcting them doesn't help. After all this while I often give up.

I suppose I should be grateful. I email, I read blogs (the parts I can get to through the firewall), I write posts to my own. But all the time my fingers are on those alt-tab keys, like I'm the one who's doing something wrong by not doing the work I don't have. And it doesn't help that the executive director (with whom I have very little contact) has his office right behind my cubicle. Behind, mind you, so the door faces my screen.

Probably nobody pays me half the attention I think they do. They probably all mind their own business and assume I'm doing lots of important work. But I'd hate to be called for an explanation if anyone ever looked at a log of my internet usage...

1 Comments:

At 11:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. It seems that everyone is pleased with your work and thinks you work hard, so you probably don't have to worry so much (though I understand, because I always have the same concerns at work).

2. Your time there is limited, so try to relax!

:) Rachel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home