Thursday, June 09, 2005

Transit Gripes

I work in a field that is dedicated to promoting alternative forms of transportation, which usually means transit. But in NYC, transit is pretty standard. The subway is a way of life. So I wanted to try a new alternative: ferry. After all, I live two blocks from the river, and the New York Water Taxi docks literally right behind my office building. So why not? Well, it seems that they've recently discontinued service to the uptown pier, the one in Carl Schurz Park. The interruption might be temporary, the woman at the info booth tells me. Perhaps it will start running again after the summer.

Gee, thanks.

And then there's the other alternative: non-motorized transport. I would love to bike to work. It would make me feel so good. But I refuse to ride in Manhattan traffic -- too dangerous. No problem, right? There's a Greenway nearly the whole way around the island, with no motor-vehicle traffic at all most of the way and only light traffic for most of the rest. Note those two words, "nearly" and "most." And then take a closer look at the map and see the only spot in which the bike path detours into high-traffic conditions for over a mile. But of course they can't have a bike path running right behind the UN! Those bikes are ever so much more of a security risk than all those harmless cars and trucks and buses running up First Avenue!

*Sigh*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home